What Are Box Mods
Box mods, which are also referred to as Vape Mods, were originally designed to produce a longer battery life and higher power vape which are ideal for sub ohm vaping.
Over the last few years, they have come a long way, producing the same power outputs but have reduced in size considerably making them one of the most preferred types of e-cigarettes available. Although significantly larger than the Vape Pens and Cigalike e-cigs there are many advantages to box and vape mods including the ability to adjust the voltage, control the temperature of the coil and outperform any other type of e-cigarette on battery life.
If you don't mind a slightly larger e-cigarette then box mods or vape mods should be considered as your preferred vaping product! If, however, you're still unsure if a box mod is a right choice for you, we suggest reading our easy guide on the best e cig products for different types of vapers to get a better idea.
The Top 3 Best Box & Vape Mods This Year:
Choosing The Best Box Mod and Vape Mod
With so many different types and features that are contained in box mods and vape mods, it can be pretty difficult to find the best. We have therefore put together some top tips to make the decision process that much simpler.
Step 1: Consider The Vape Mods Features That Are Important To You
Most box mods and vape mods come with some standard features which include low voltage protection, cut off protection, short-circuit protection and battery protection. So just make sure they have these features and move on. The features that you need to consider include the following:
- Maximum Power – Most often the brand will show off how much power the vape mod can achieve, often placing it within the devices name like the SMOK Morph 219 Vape Mod for example, meaning it will go up to 219 Watts. Not many vapers actually use more than 100W, so think about how much power you actually want and don’t let the higher devices be a factor in your selection. The box mods and vape mods offering these high wattage devices often require a pair of 18650 batteries which need to be good when using at high power.
- Wattage Control – This is known as a variable wattage or VW for short, where you can adjust the wattage from around 5W-200+W. This is one important feature that you want to make sure the box mod and vape mod have. Most devices offer this feature with a nice, easy to read display, but, consider how easy it is to adjust the wattage and whether there is any lock in place to stop you accidentally changing this output.
- Temperature Control – Temperature control known as TC for short, was a big thing back in 2017, but slowly declined in popularity in 2018, 2019 and 2020. That said, it is a nice feature to try in addition to VW vaping. One thing to consider, is you need to make sure the coils you are using are capable of using temperature control, these coils are made of either stainless steel, nickel, or titanium.
- External or Internal Batteries – Most experiences vapers prefer to use external 18650 batteries, this is for a couple of reasons; usually they have a good stock of these types of batteries and also, when the battery finally expires and struggles to charge, they don’t have to replace the box or vape mod. Using external batteries also gives you the additional option to buy high drain batteries, which usually outlast any internal batteries. One other advantage of external batteries is that you can buy a spare set to carry around with you in case they don’t last. If you do carry spare batteries in your pocket, make sure to carry them in an adequate case, they can easily be shorted with loose change and coins which can cause burns
- Ease of Use – Many manufacturers release vape mods and box mods with gimmicks, that although sound good is completely not necessary. For example, we have had box mods and vape mods with voice control, touch screen, blue tooth speakers, mobile apps and some vape mods with such a complicated menu structure it becomes way too complicated to change a simple setting. Take a look at the menu features of your preferred vape mod and make sure you understand it along with considering how easy it is to access the features you are interested in.
Step 2: Does Size Matter When Picking The Best Box Mod and Vape Mod?
Vape mods and box mods come is a whole host of sizes, with the majority based around the dual 18650 battery setup. That said, there are models available that support 3×18650 batteries and brag about how much longer their device will last. This has a big impact on the size of the vape mod and increases the weight considerably. You can carry dual battery vape mods in your pocket, relatively comfortably, but 3×18650 device us pretty much a no-no!
Box mods and vape mods that offer internal batteries, and single 18650 battery options are often quite a bit smaller, but here you have to make sure battery power (measured in mAh) is decent enough for you to use and last all day. As a rule of thumb, consider that one 18650 is approx 2000mAh, so an internal battery of between 3-4000mAh is equivalent to a dual battery device. Any smaller than 3000mAh may have trouble providing a regular vape, especially if your vaping over 50W.
The smaller powered devices that have an internal battery of less than 1500mAh, or use just one 18650 battery are really meant for the lower wattage vapers, no greater than 40W. To achieve this they often provide kits with tanks that have coils with reduced diameters to produce the best vape. It does achieve a similar vape, as far as taste is concerned, but you are sacrificing a warm vape with large cloud content.
Step 3: Consider if Box Mods and Vape Mods Are The Right Choice
You have to consider the possibility that box mods and vape mods may not be the right choice for you. We go over the different types of e-cigarettes that suit certain types of users in our guide to finding the best electronic cigarettes, so give that a read for more information.
Essentially vape mods and box mods are suited to the more experienced vaper, who wants a little more of a warmer vape produced from more power and a vape that will last longer than vape pens and Vape Pods. Most of the box mods and vape mods cater mainly for the sub-ohm vaping type of user (those who perform the direct lung inhale vaping technique), these types of vapers mainly use a sub-ohm tank that comes as part of the starter kit. There are models available to support mouth to lung vaping, but these are far and few between.
Types Of Box Mods
By now you should have a pretty good idea of which of the best box mods we give examples of will best suit you. But before you make up your mind there is one more thing you need to learn. There are essentially four different types of box mod and vape mod on the market, each suits different types of users. Let’s now look at each of them.
The Variable Wattage Box Mod
The variable wattage box mod is pretty much the standard mod that everyone means when they mention either a box mod or vape mod. They are also the mods that we feature as the best on this page. You should know already that the variable wattage box mod has additional features that we mention above like temperature control and a whole host of safety features to keep the vaper safe when vaping. This type of box mod can be used with pretty much any type of tank, whether its a stock sub ohm tank, RTA tank, or RDA tank. Often these types of mods come in starter kit form, which means you get a sub-ohm tank with the kit, along with a couple of different coils to test. This type of mod is the most popular in the vaping industry due to its advanced features and ease of use.
The AIO (All in one) Box Mod
The AIO box mod is really an extension to the vape pen which often comes with fewer features and less power. They are really suited for new vapers who don’t want to mess around with changing wattages, temperatures, and other settings. The tank is actually built into the mod itself but is refillable by either unscrewing the mouthpiece of other plungers. Due to the tank being part of the mod, there is less space for the manufacturer to use for the battery and therefore they offer low wattage levels. To compensate for low power they are often designed for the mouth to lung vapers, but some extend to sub-ohm vaping by using a small diameter core within the coil to improve vape production.
The Squonk Mod
The Squonk Mod really started to get popular in 2017 with more advanced vapers. One of the best ways to get the flavor from your e-liquid is by a method known as dripping. This is where you build your own coil deck with cotton and drip the e-liquid onto the coil just before you vape. This keeps the e-liquid fresh and less chance of spoiling as they can do within the warm tank. Squonk mods were invented to prevent the vaper from having to carry a small bottle around with them and to make the whole dripping method easier. The Squonk mod is of similar size to a dual battery, variable wattage box mod but replaces one battery with a squeezable bottle. This bottle is filled with e-liquid and when squeezed, releases e-liquid to the coil. As you have to build your own coil deck, this type of device is not really suited for the beginner as it can be a bit fiddly. Also, squonk mods have limited power, due to the space within the mod being used up with the e-liquid bottle.
The Mech (Mechanical) Mod
The Mech mod should be avoided by all new vapers, in fact, their existence is rather rare although still worth a mention as some advanced vapers like mentioning them. This type of box mod has no safety features at all, and no control to adjust wattage, temperature, etc. It’s simply a battery, which is often dual 18650 batteries, wired up directly to a 510 screw thread where you screw in your tank. This means you are getting the full battery power directly to the tank, which can produce a very hot vape! The Mech mod should only be used with RDA tanks, and a coil setup that has been calculated related to the battery power, if you attach a normal sub-ohm tank you are likely to burn out the coil with the first puff. Obviously, we would not recommend any new or old vaper to buy a mech mod, the latest variable wattage box mods offer similar option within their menu sections, but with all the electronic cut-off safety features.
The Box Mod Market
Vaping has been going from strength to strength recently with millions having already turned to what’s undoubtedly a vastly more convenient, but more affordable and less harmful alternative to smoking.
Unsurprisingly, the market has also become awash with all manner of weird and wonderful gadgets, accessories or modifications which range from the genuinely sublime to the outright ridiculous.
However, as of 2019 quite possibly the hottest thing to hit the electronic cigarette market for some time is the box mod. Right now, pretty much every make and brand in the e-cigarette business is either lining up multiple box and vape mods or has already released at least one.
In fact, brands and businesses that you wouldn’t normally associate with vape mods are also diving into it to get a piece of the action, having realized just how big of a deal these things really are. Of course, with the market now flooded with box mod brands, we make it easier to figure out if the brand you're looking at is any good! Below you will find all the latest box mod reviews.