Best Performing Vape Pods
1st: VooPoo Drag E60
The VooPoo Drag E60 vape pod is a compact and sleek device designed for vapers seeking a portable and user-friendly experience. It features a 2550mAh built-in battery that can be charged quickly via USB-C. The device has a maximum output of 60W and supports both MTL and DTL vaping styles. Its pod cartridge can hold 4.5ml of e-liquid and features an easy-to-use filling system.
Out of 10
Based on build, reliability and quality of the device.
2nd: SMOK NOVO 5
Out of 10
3rd: MOTI X 40W Pod
Out of 10
Best Low Power MTL (Mouth To Lung) Vape Pods
1st – Aspire Breeze 2
The Breeze 2 is not only a really easy vape pod to use but has the added advantage of having refillable pods. This means you can choose your own e-liquid flavors and strengths or even make your own! The vape pod produces a smooth and tasteful vape that makes it our best choice in the vape pod category.
Out of 10
2nd: Aspire AVP AIO
Out of 10
3rd: Bo Vape
Out of 10
Picking the best vape pod device to suit you doesn't have to be that hard. We take a look at the best brands on the market and teach you the important factors you need to consider before buying.
What Are Vape Pods?
Before we get started with the best pod vapes, you may not be sure if vape pods are the right vaping device for you. We suggest taking a look at our guide on the best e-cigs where we look at all the different types of vaping device and the users they most suit.
Pod vapes or what some people call vape pods are becoming more and more popular taking over as the first choice of e-cigarette for smokers who want to switch to vaping. Thanks to their simplistic and yet stylish design, Pod vapes and pod mods are really easy to use. You usually buy a pod which is either pre-filled with e-liquid or one you fill yourself and simply place it into the body containing the automatic battery, then you just start vaping.
All pod vapes are low in power, so don’t expect to be producing massive clouds like you get from box mods. This low power means they work best with an atomizer, or coil, greater than 1-ohm and therefore used with the mouth to lung inhale technique similar to smoking. That said, some manufacturers are starting to inherit some features like airflow control, to enable the direct lung inhale vapers to also enjoy vape pods. But the satisfaction with this type of vaping will definitely be limited.
Vape pods have had a lot of criticism in the press recently, mainly thanks to their attraction to children and the sheer amount of children trying vaping. Although we do not agree with children vaping, they are choosing vape pods because of their small design features, which are easily hidden or mistaken as pens or USB devices. That said, for adults who want a vape product that slips into your pocket easily and is simple to use, then vape pods are a great choice.
Different Types of Vape Pods?
As the vape pod has become more and more popular, particularly in the last year, manufacturers are releasing more and more different types to the market. This means the user has to now think about which type of vape pod will best suit them and which one will best suit their needs. We are now going to look at the different types and explain the difference so you get a better idea.
Vape Pod Pens
The vape pod pen is the original vape pod to hit the market and was first introduced by Juul who has had tremendous success in sales. They have been known as the preferred choice for smokers wishing to try e-cigarettes to quit smoking, taking over the Cig-a-like e-cigarette.
They are designed with similar dimensions as a Cig-a-like, but often flat or rectangular in shape. Often no taller than 100mm and only 10mm wide, they are ideal for carrying around with you on a busy day.
Vape Pod Box Mods
As vape pods become more popular, we are seeing more and more different designs hitting the market. Recently, manufacturers are starting to release box mod style vape pods, which as the name implies are a smaller version of the box mods we see in the vaping market.
They are rectangular in size and although of similar length to the Vape Pod Pens, have a greater width. This increased size has two main functions; 1, to increase the battery capacity so your vape pod will last longer and 2, allow (in some models), the user to choose a stronger wattage output and thus a stronger vape.
Refillable Vape Pods
One of the biggest drawbacks with vape pods was the cost of replacing the actual pod. Once your e-liquid had run out, you needed to buy a completely new pod, these pods house the e-liquid and coil. Although this is great for the manufacturer as there is a continued revenue stream after the user buys the pod vape, it actually starts to cost quite a lot of money.
Luckily, some of the top vape manufacturers and brands figured this out and have started releasing refillable pods. This means that the user can use their own e-liquid and refill the pod multiple times before throwing it away. This is by far the best option for regular vapers and those wanting to try a whole magnitude of different e-liquid flavors and strengths.
Removable Coil Vape Pods
Following on from the refillable pods, and as the vape pod industry continues to grow, manufacturers and brands are now releasing new vape pods with removable coils. This means that rather than throwing the plastic pod away once done, you simply just replace the coil and continue vaping.
This is again a cheaper option for users with the added benefit of choosing the resistance of the coil, as these vape pod producers often release new pods with a number of coil options.
Adjustable Airflow and Power Vape Pods
In the race to have the best vape pod, manufacturers are releasing new designs of vape pod with more and more features. The two features that have recently been introduced is the ability to adjust the airflow and change the power of the pod.
The adjustable airflow feature is currently only available on a selected few pods, but is likely to be introduced more and more. This gives the vaper the ability to adjust the amount of air resistance whilst they vape. This may suit more experienced vapers more, as they will have a preferred level, but it’s also a plus for new vapers to experiment with.
With the adjustable power levels, the vape pod has a button where you can toggle between different power levels, often recorded in voltage as opposed to the wattage that we see on vape pens and box mods. This is because all vape pods only produce a small voltage and hence a small wattage change occurs. Although this may seem like a bit of a gimmick the small voltage changes actually make a bit of a difference.
Our Recommendations on Finding The Best Vape Pods
By now, you should be clear on the different types of vape pods that are on the market and have a pretty good idea of which type would suit you. There are a couple of key factors that you also need to consider in order to get the best match for you and hopefully save a bit of money in the long run. Follow our tips on finding the best vape pod to make sure:
- Size of the vape pod – Most vape pods are small, but there are all sorts of different shapes, sizes and designs. If you can, it’s always good to touch and feel the device before purchasing so visit your local vape shop and take a look at their display models. It doesn’t have to be the exact brand your looking for, just get an idea of how it fits in your hand and pocket. If you’re opting for the smallest vape pod you can find, consider the battery capacity in comparison to the other models. If it’s too small the vape pod is not going to last and require recharging throughout the day. To give you an idea the average vape pod has a battery capacity of around 500mAh, anything larger than this is good, but don’t go much smaller if you can help it.
- Refillable or prefilled pods – One of the biggest costs of vaping a vape mod isn’t the upfront cost of the actual device, it’s the cost of the e-liquid and coils. If you buy a prefilled pod, this cost magnifies considerably. This is because the average coil can last approximately 3 refills before you need to replace it, but the option of refilling is not an option on prefilled pods obviously. Not only are replacing the coil 3 times more often, but the cost of prefilled pods are extremely expensive in comparison to just buying the coils and e-liquid.
- Eliquid strength and flavor – Most new vapers think if they smoke 20-30 cigarettes a day they need a high nicotine content, but this is simply not true. Especially if you enjoy smoking and want an alternative like vaping. Think of it a different way, consider that the average cigarette holds around 6mg of nicotine and if you were to get a stronger nicotine cigarette it may be a little unpleasant on the throat. The same is true for vaping. We always suggest choosing an e-liquid of around 6mg to start with, if you feel you are needing more, you can simply vape more. If your set on using vaping as a quit smoking device, and want to quit vaping also, then you may look at higher nicotine content to satisfy your nicotine craving for longer. This, however, is a dangerous method, as you may become more addicted to nicotine. Nicotine salts are high in nicotine content and provide a smoother vape should you want to take this route.
- Brand awareness – Unfortunately, due to the sheer popularity of e-cigarettes and vape pods there are many fake brands out there. You may like a particular brand or device and see one in a shop/market that looks identical at a quarter of the price. This should be obvious, but with electronic cigarettes and vape pods, it is more important than ever to make sure you buy from a reputable supplier and brand. The quality between the worst and cheap vape pods to the best vape pod devices is actually quite astonishing. Don’t be fooled!
- Aditiional features – Some of the latest pods offer a number of additional features, but the three that we believe are of use are the adjustable airflow, so you can have additional control on the resistance of the vape, the adjustable power, so you can control the power of your hit and also the battery indicator for obvious reasons! Any additional features should be carefully considered against cost, battery sacrifice running that feature and usability.
- Cost – Obviously the more features the vape pod has the more expensive it is going to be, if this is your first time vaping and your not sure if it’s going to suit you then set a budget of around $30-$40 which includes the cost of the e-liquid and stick to it. You can get carried away and before you know it has an all singing all dancing vape pod that is simply just kept in a drawer and never used.
Following these simple steps will point you in the right direction of choosing the best vape pod, but don’t be shy if you have any questions. If you can’t find the answers you’re looking for then contact us and we will be only too pleased to help.
Hi! I’m Nicholas King, the founder, and Chief Editor at SmokeTastic. As an ex-smoker and now vaping enthusiast for over 13 years myself, I understand the transition between smoking and vaping. My aim is to share useful information about all the different vape and e-cig products on the market, self-help tips, and detailed reviews.
I hope you find something on SmokeTastic that helps you with your decision process.