SMOK T-Priv Kit Review and DealsOctober 9, 2017
VGOD Elite Mech Mod ReviewOctober 13, 2017
By: Nicholas King.
Smok ProColor 225W Review Bottom Line
SMOK have finally released an upgrade to the Alien kit that was one of their biggest selling vape mods of 2016. Introducing the Procolor 225W kit, with an improved protective finish to prevent the paint chipping and a color LCD screen this mod is beautiful. The few improvements probably don't warrant an upgrade from the original Alien kit itself, but nevertheless, this mod is one of the best on the market and we just loved it!
In-Depth Review of the Smok ProColor Mod Kit
Smok is one of the most respected brands in the e-cig industry, so it will always have fans lining up to check out its newest product offerings. That’s certainly true for us, as we’ve been waiting to get our hands on its latest product since rumors first broke that the company was working on an Alien update. While that latest product doesn’t use the name Alien, make no mistake: the ProColor is an updated version of the Smok Alien in pretty much every way that matters. So, what do we think of it, you wonder? We’re glad you asked. In this Smok ProColor Kit 225W review, we’ll analyze this little mod and see whether it was worth the wait.
First, let’s note that we’re reviewing the kit – and with Smok, that means we need to mention the packaging. Smok branding is top-of-the-line, and that always shines through in their packaging decisions. In this instance, the kit comes in a great-looking box adorned with the mod’s image on the outside. The goodies, though, are really on the inside of the box. This kit obviously comes with the ProColor mod, which is neatly packaged in a Styrofoam container to protect it during shipping. The kit also includes the micro-USB cable needed for charging, coil heads, spare o-rings, and Smok’s own Big Baby Best sub-ohm tank and extra glass tube. It’s a really nice package with almost everything you need for your vaping adventures.
With the new release of the SMOK Majesty Mod kit it’s hard to gauge how well this kit is actually going to do, considering the extras you get with the Majesty. But time will tell!
The dimensions of the ProColor are almost identical to that Alien device: 85 mm tall, 46 mm wide and 30 mm in diameter. It also has an eerily-similar design, from the side-firing bar to the hinged battery door. Sure, they made a few minor changes to the old Alien design, but it’s still obvious that the two devices are closely related from a design standpoint. If you like that old Alien kit, then that’s probably a good thing. I loved it, in fact, we classed it as one of the best vape mods at the time it was released.
There are also some meaningless features that seem out of place on a vaping device, including an array of lights designed to give you a light show. Why? Who knows, it seems all the best vape manufacturers are doing it these days! Personally, I’ve always found these types of features to be a waste of design space, and wonder why companies sometimes act like they view these things as toys. If I want a light show, I’m certainly not going to look for it in a vaping device.
On the plus side of the equation, Smok has reportedly taken to heart the many complaints it received about its products’ finish. More attention has been given to the ProColor’s paint job, and the company now provides a clear coating that will supposedly prevent the type of paint-chipping seen with the Alien. Time will tell, but that would be a clear improvement over the Alien.
The display is very attractive and manages to pack in a lot of information in a limited space. You can view details about everything from atomizer resistance to voltage, and even have access to a puff counter. The menu is easy enough to manage, though the reliance on using different presses of the device’s firing bar was actually pretty inefficient – especially when you consider that there are so many other ways to handle that type of navigation. Even a simple mistake can leave you starting at the beginning of the navigation process. That’s a mess.
The device does have temperature control and preheating capabilities – as well as memory mode. Of course, this too has to be accessed using that strange firing button navigation system. Good luck with that. So is this mod really for the expert vaper? Well no not really, if your looking for an e-cigarette to quit smoking then this unit can help too, it features are easy to use and has many options for the vaper, like the use of both sub ohm and regular atomizer heads to support mouth to lung and direct lung inhales, put simply this mod covers it all so you won’t need to upgrade once your vaping experience expands.
Battery life seems to be about average, which is what we expected. If yours is fully charged before you leave the house for work, it will likely serve you throughout the day. It’s powered by two 18650 batteries, so there are no surprises there.
As for performance, that’s where the rubber really meets the road. First, let’s dispense with the 225W label that some people seem to view as a promise. While this device is rated for 225 watts, we didn’t get it to perform at those levels. For us, it maxed out at about 190-200 watts – but that’s actually a very impressive number. Many devices don’t actually reach their rated wattage capability, so we’ve come to expect that.
The ProColor was adequate, in our view. Alien owners may not find the minor technical upgrades to be worth their investment, but new buyers should be very happy with the device, it does pretty much everything! Overall, we found the Smok ProColor Kit 225W to be a great mod that should meet most users’ needs.
Other Smok Kits Available
Smok is one of the leading manufacturers of electronic cigarettes and they have many models currently on the market:
- SMOK G Priv 2 – The upgrade is here and it’s improved in every sense! Better screen, smaller, more power and overall a better performer, what more could you ask for!
- SMOK Stick X8 – SMOK have released their new version of a vape pen with some huge improvements like a 3000mAh battery, creating a smooth and all day vape that competes with the best on the market.
- Smok T-Priv – One of SMOK’s newer box mods and one of the best looking, that said not many feature changes so not suitable for an upgrade, but a great starter kit if you haven’t tried SMOK before!
- SMOK GX2/4 Mod – Combining all the great features of the SMOK Alien kit and the GX350, SMOK have released this 2 in 1 mod that holds 4 x 18650 batteries, but can be slimmed down to hold just 2 batteries! This mod gives you everything you would need in vaping!
- Smok G80 – If your interested in box mods, but don’t want to carry a huge brick around with you then the Smok G80 needs to be looked at. With an 80W built in battery and a 2ml tank this mod produces as good vapor as the big dogs!
- Smok OSub Plus – An upgrade to the original 40W Osub the new Plus model boosts an 80W output! Designed really as a vape mod for carrying around with you through the day with reliability and easy to use controls. Check it out!
- Smok G150 – The G150 Kit features a huge built-in 4200mAh battery and the TFV8 Big Baby tank. The vapor produced is great and the mod has all the latest features you would expect making it one to check out.
- Smok Vape Pen Plus – For those lovers of vape pens, the new vape pen plus from Smok has been released. Small yet featuring a huge 3000mAh battery and 4ml tank this pen produces some great tasting vapor.
- Smok AL85 – Nicknamed the baby Alien kit after the success and popularity of the original Alien mod. The AL85 features the similar specs but with one huge difference; it’s size! IF your after a smaller box mod that delivers both flavor and vapor then the AL85 might be for you!
- Smok GX 350 Quad – Featuring 4 x 18650 batteries, this thing is a beast of a mod! It’s relatively small too and also has the option to work of just 2 batteries. The kit comes with the TFV8 Tank which is well known and trusted as one of the best tanks on the market. All in all, a great kit!
- Smok Stick AIO – If vape pens are your thing, then you need to check out the SMOK Stick AIO. This all in one pen makes vaping easy and best of all the flavors are as good as any box mod!
- Smok Stick V8 Kit – Utilizing the TFV8 Baby tanks and a huge 3000 mAh battery the Smok Stick V8 is one of the best vape pens on the market. Great vapor amounts and great taste, what more could you ask for?
- Smok Alien Kit – One of the best, if not the best box mod on the market right now! The Alien kit is small and yet so powerful, taking 2 x 18650 batteries your sure to have enough power for all levels of vaping. Also features the TFV8 Baby beast tank, which is recognized as the best tank on the market!
- Smok Skyhook – Nicknamed the Aliens cloud machine, this box mod is using all the tech from the Alien kit and specializing it for the TDA and RTA users. If you like the taste of your own coils and cotton, then this box mod needs to be in your inventory! Great tasting and great features.